I did a short write-up about Mach Hommy's new project with Tha God Fahim for Passion of the Weiss. The tape is called Dollar Menu and it's pretty good. For the most part, I haven't been crazy about Fahim outside of "Black Snow" (which is one of the coolest beats I've heard in years), but he sounds really good paired with Mach. You can check it out here. I also had two short stories published: Shoebox Stashbox is currently up on Alexandria Quarterly, and will be published in their print issue in May 2017; and Fat Pockets was recently published in the print edition of Seven Scribes' first ever fiction issue. You can check those stories out here and here.
I put together a fun winter mixtape for Passion of the Weiss. This might be my favorite one yet. You can check out the winter mixtape here. And, surprisingly, all of the old seasonal mixtapes that I made for Passion are still up on Audiomack. I also have a new piece up on Hobart about the new Tribe album. You can check it out here. It's the first album in the Jukebox Happy Hour series that wasn't written by it's creator, Micah Ling.
Posted by: H.L. at 1/07/2017
This year, I covered Schoolboy Q and MC Eiht for the Passion of the Weiss year-end list. You can check out the site's best songs list here. My personal favorites of 2016 are listed below.
Greatest Rap Songs of 2016:
- Westside Gunn – "Mr. T" [Flygod]
- Schoolboy Q – "Groovy Tony" [Blankface]
- Curren$y – "Vibrations" [The Carrollton Heist]
- Conway the Machine - "Birdy" [Internet]
- Drake – "4 PM in Calabasas" [Internet]
- A$AP Mob – "Yamborghini High" [Internet]
- Hall & Nash – "Lobos" [Internet]
- Rick Ross – "Buy Back the Block" [Internet]
- Nas – "Nas Is Like (Infamous Remix)" [Internet]
- Roc Marciano – "All For It" [Internet]
- A Tribe Called Quest – "Mobius" [Thank You 4 Your Service]
- Grand Puba – "I Like It (Quelle Chris Remix)" [Lost Files & Flips]
- Ka – "Grapes of Wrath" [The Superfly Single]
- Mach Hommy – "Fresh Off the Boat (Knxwledge Remix)" [Internet]
- Camp Lo – "Money Dance II" [Internet]
- Hus Kingpin – "Wizard of Dons" [Internet]
- Smoke Dza – "Black Superhero Car" [Don't Smoke Rock]
- Rick Ross – "The Weather (Dirty Diggs Remix)" [Internet]
- Isa Muhammad – "Power Circle" [Diabolical Bastard Billionaire Genius]
- Agallah – "Man of the House" [Internet]
Posted by: H.L. at 12/20/2016
I'm proud to say that I put together a really cool summer mixtape for Passion of the Weiss. There's few things I enjoy more than curating these seasonal playlists. You can check out the mixtape here. I also have a few pieces of fiction that'll be trickling out over the summer. A short story called "Snowed In" is already up on a local journal called DC Fiction. You can check that out here. At least two other short stories will be out later this summer—one online and the other in print.
Posted by: H.L. at 6/08/2016
This year, I covered Miguel, Thundercat, and Miguel again for the Passion of the Weiss year-end lists. You can check out the site's best album and best song lists here and here. I also helped the good folks at Metal Lungies with their annual Beat Drop series, which highlights the best production of the year. My picks were beats by Jake One, Battlecat and The Hitmen. You can check that out here. Finally, I have a piece of fiction running in the third installment of Politics and Prose's District Lines anthology (Winter 2016). They'll be holding an in-store release shindig on January 9th, 2015.
My personal favorites are listed below, for posterity.
My personal favorites are listed below, for posterity.
Greatest Rap Songs of 2015: Zip
- Action Bronson – "Galactic Love" [Mr. Wonderful]
- Agallah – "Elevation Music" [Don Status]
- Ar-Ab – "Blow 3" [Internet]
- Big Twins – "Check Out My Demo" [Thrive 2]
- Blu – "Cobb" [Amazing 5]
- Boldy James – "2 Craps and a Missout" [Risk Vs. Reward]
- Curren$y – "Lemonade Mimosas" [Pilot Talk 3]
- Drake - "30 For 30" [What a Time to be Alive]
- Earl Sweatshirt – "AM Radio" [I Don't Like Shit]
- Erykah Badu – "U Don't Have to Call" [But You Caint Use My Phone]
- Erykah Badu – "So Long (That's What She Said)" [Buzzfeed Performace]
- Future – "I Serve the Base" [Dirty Sprite 2]
- The Game – "Up On the Wall" [The Documentary 2]
- Hus Kingpin – "U God" [House of Kingpin]
- Ka – "Day 13" [Days with Dr. Yen Lo]
- Knxwledge – "Dem Streets" [Hud Dreams]
- Lupe Fiasco – "Prisoner" [Tetsuo & Youth]
- Ma$e – "When NY was NY" [Internet]
- Meek Mill – "Check" [Dreams Worth More than Money]
- Miguel – "NWA" [Wildheart]
- Mr. Muthafuckin' eXquire – "Generation Gap" [Danger Room]
- Noreaga – "Happy Hate" [Internet]
- Philthy Rich – "Wing Stop (Remix)" [Internet]
- Project Pat – "Flexington" [Cheez 'N' Dope 3]
- Puff Daddy – "Auction" [MMM]
- Rast RFC – "Drive By" [The Story of a Legend]
- Rick Ross – "Bill Gates" [Black Dollar]
- Rick Ross – "Money Dance" [Black Dollar]
- Rick Ross – "Crocodile Python" [Black Market]
- Roc Marciano – "Patina" [Internet]
- Shy Glizzy - "Funeral" [Law 3]
- Snoop Dogg & Daz – "Best Friends" [Cuzznz]
- Thundercat – "Them Changes" [Where the Giants Roam]
- Tuxedo – "Get U Home" [Tuxedo]
I reviewed Victor LaValle's 2010 novel, Big Machine (here), as well as blurbs about Kool G Rap and Large Professor (here and here) for Passion of the Weiss. I also wrote previews for Earl Sweatshirt and Andrew Ervin's latest novel, Burning Down George Orwell's House (here and here), for Washington City Paper.
I reviewed Wale's Album About Nothing, covered Rick Ross's video for "Phone Tap," and curated a Jiggy-themed mixtape—all for Passion of the Weiss. You can read those articles here, here and here, respectively.